Serve at First Christian
The Church is the Body of Christ. First Christian Church offers many opportunities for fellowship -- opportunities to share worship, study of God's word, and service to others. Jesus challenged his disciples to follow selflessly, sacrifice on behalf of others, love with a depth that knows no end, and to seek to learn more.
To become involved and serve at First Christian Church supports not only your church community, pastors, staff and fellow volunteers, and all those within our reach, but gives you a closer relationship with God and God's world, the opportunity to enjoy the fellowship, concern and support of other members, and can help you discover the deep fulfillment of life truly committed to Jesus Christ. There's a place for you at First Christian Church!
Here's some brief information about our many ministries and activities. Let us know where we can help you get involved by completing the form at the bottom of the page, or contact the church office by email or phone 225-926-4175 with any questions.
- Adult Education/Bible Study: Get involved with our Sunday morning classes, Thursday afternoon Bible study, or other classes as developed and scheduled.
- Children's Worship & Wonder: One-on-one training is provided for all vetted volunteers, in one session. Two adults are needed for each Sunday's session, held during the 10:50 worship service. Greeter escorts children from the sanctuary to the youth building, welcomes them as they enter the W&W room, and remains for general supervision and assistance. Storyteller leads the presentation scheduled for the day, and helps with song-leading and worship.
- Spirit Kids: Sunday morning activities and learning for our pre-school through middle school youngsters is held at 9:30 a.m. Volunteers work with one of two age groups: Arts & Crafts puts minds and hands to work created Bible-based lesson crafts, for pre-schoolers through second graders. Faith Formation is our thoughtful Bible study for third through sixth graders.
- Vacation Bible School: Teachers and helpers in arts, crafts, music, snacks, lessons, and video presentations will be needed the week of June 29-July 3, 2020. A variety of day and shift assignments are available.
- Visitor Hosts look for new faces at our worship services, welcoming them, answering questions, and helping them have a pleasant worship experience. Assigned on a rotating schedule at the 10:50 service.
- Visitor Follow-up: Telephone, send a card, or visit our first-time visitors, inviting them to become involved at FCC — a key factor in church growth!
- FCC Welcome Wagon: Consider and implement means to meaningfully engage with visitors as well as reach out to neighbors and new neighborhoods in our area.
- Work Day: Help plan, schedule, recruit, and/or attend our spring work day, addressing general clean-up of the church campus. Date TBD, generally early April, before Easter.
- Bereavement Meals: Prepare/contribute meals to families experiencing loss of a loved one.
- Coffee Fellowship: Prepare/provide coffee, biscuits, pastries, or other breakfast foods following the 8:30 service. Partner with someone to make it more fun!
- Church-wide Meals: Volunteers help with planning, meal assignments, decorating, set-up, service, and clean-up at one or more of our five congregation-wide Sunday meals.
- Blood Drives: Help schedule, coordinate, and promote the semi-annual blood drives held at FCC.
- Miscellaneous or Emergency Drives: Is logistics your specialty? Stay apprised of local and area needs, and help coordinate us as we gather food, toys, clothing, etc.
- Southeast Ministries Association: FCC is part of the numerous southeast Baton Rouge churches across nine denominations who provide volunteers, Board members, food stuffs, and funding to serve the needy in our area. Volunteers and liaisons needed.
You will be part of a rotating scheduled to perform the duties necessary in preparation for or during Sunday morning worship services.
- Opening Church: Walk around and open church buildings on Sunday morning, between 7:30-8:00 a.m.
- Closing Church: Walk around and lock church buildings following the last Sunday service/event (usually around noon).
- Children’s Sermon: Given the focus for the day, deliver a brief, engaging message to children at the 10:50 service.
- Attendance Sheets: Gather the sign-in sheets from each pew following the 10:50 service; deposit in church office door slot.
- Build Video Program: Create the visual presentation for Sunday worship (two services); graphics and text provided. Training provided. Must be done at church and takes about one hour.
- Liturgist: Lead the Call to Worship and opening prayer (provided) at the 8:30 or 10:50 service.
- Sound Tech: Operate audio/sound system at the 8:30 or 10:50 service. Training provided.
- Video Tech: Operate video system at the 8:30 or 10:50 service. Training provided.
- Altar/Chancel Guild: Develop creative ideas to adorn the sanctuary and enhance worship, following the worship themes and seasons.
- Music Opportunities: Visit here to read about our choir and music invitations to you!